- Ask the learners what they have learnt so far about ecosystems.
An ecosystem is an area where living and non-living things depend on each other (there are relationships between the living and non-living things in an ecosystem).
- Ask the learners if they think that the plants and animals are connected in an ecosystem.
Answer: Yes, they are connected due to their feeding relationships.
- Tell learners that in this relationship, one group makes the food (producers) and the other group eats the food (consumers). Can they tell which is which?
Answer: Plants are producers and animals are consumers.
- Ask learners if they know what a vegetarian is.
Answer: A person who does not eat meat – only vegetables and fruit and sometimes animal products, such as eggs or milk.
- In the animal kingdom, we also find vegetarians. Do they know what these types of animals are called?
- Besides herbivores, there are other types of animal consumers too.
- Tell learners that they will find out more about these consumers a little later.
- Show VIDEO CLIP 6: Producers, Consumers and Decomposers (5:15 min.).
- In this video, the roles of producers, consumers and decomposers in a pond ecosystem are discussed.