- Greet the learners.
- Ask the learners who of them drink coffee.
- Ask them to explain how they made the coffee: What ingredients did they have to put together to make a perfect cup of coffee.
Answer: Hot water, coffee powder, sugar, milk, etc.
- Ask learners if they know what we call a substance that consists of different materials that have been mixed together.
Answer: A mixture.
- Ask learners: Who can give a definition of a mixture?
Answer: A mixture is two or more different materials that have been mixed together.
- Present an overview of mixtures of materials by using PRESENTATION 1: Mixtures (1)
When you ask learners to give examples of mixtures in which the different substances are still clearly visible, have examples to show the class.
Reveal the different examples:
- peanuts and raisins
- dried fruit
- different coloured or types of sweets
- sugar and cinnamon mix
- water and oil (e.g. foam bath and bath oil mixture)
- Use PRESENTATION 1: Mixtures (1) to ask learners how they would separate different mixtures.